product activation and license management overview
The Solstice Display software uses a third-party, internet-based software licensing system to manage all licensing and maintenance policies. An internet connection is required in order to access all of the licensing functions including product activation, maintenance updates and license migration. Once activated, the Solstice software does not require an internet connection in day-to-day use.
The Solstice Display Software needs to be activated with a valid license within the first 30 days of use. The license can be activated by entering a 16 digit alpha-numeric code:
Example Activation Code: CBD4-E173-BBED-B3AC
- The activation code is sent via email from email@example.com. If you haven’t received an email with an activation code, double check your junk/spam email folder in case our message was flagged by your email system.
- If you can’t find your activation code email, you can log into the Mersive license portal here.
- If you can’t find your activation code, email firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information. Note: It may take up to 3 business days to respond.
- Customer / business name
- Order fulfillment ID
- Purchase date
- Contact email and phone number
The Solstice Display Software license is associated with specific computer hardware when it is activated. From time to time it may be necessary to migrate an existing software license to a new hardware platform. When upgrading hardware, for example, the existing license needs to first be recalled so that it will be available for activation on the new hardware platform. You can recall a license from the ‘Licensing’ tab in the Solstice Configuration window. The ‘recall license’ button is in the bottom toolbar (see figure below).
Once recalled, a license can be activated on a different machine using the license activation steps outlined above. Note: License migration is not intended as a “floating license” mechanism, so each license is limited to a maximum of five activation/recall cycles.
license recovery / system crash
In the event of a hardware or software crash that requires replacing or updating the hardware, or reinstalling the operating system, you are encouraged to recall the Solstice license before making any system upgrades or changes. Once system repairs / upgrades are completed, you can then re-activate the license. In the event that a system crash prevents you from recalling the license, please contact email@example.com with the fulfillment ID associated with that software instance for further assistance. Note: The fulfillment ID can be found by clicking the 'Device Info' button, under the Licensing tab in the configuration menu
In rare instances the Solstice Display Software license may become invalid. This may happen after a hardware upgrade, OS or software updates, or after a system crash. While uncommon, certain changes can trigger the licensing software to enter a “broken trust” state which temporarily suspends the license. Often the license can be repaired with our support utilities that are included with the Solstice installation. The license utility is a command line tool, so you need to be comfortable with running programs from a command window.
- From the windows start menu find the “Search program and files” edit box. In this edit box type the three letters “cmd” and then press enter. This will launch the command shell.
- At the command prompt, change directories into the Solstice support directory, typically here: C:\program files (x86)\mersive\solstice\server\support
- Run the license tool program by typing: licenseTool [enter]
- This will check the status of the license and print out several lines of information to the screen. Look for the words “Broken Trust” near the top.
- If the license is in the “Broken Trust” state, you can attempt to repair it by typing: licenseTool –repair [enter]
- After repairing the license, reboot the computer and try running the Solstice server.
- If you are still having problems contact support at firstname.lastname@example.org